What is polished concrete?
Basically there are two methods for polishing concrete and then variations of them.
- Grinding the surface of concrete (old or new) until it is flat, then applying a sacrificial surface sealer.
- Again grinding the concrete surface flat (old or new) then applying surface treatments to start the polishing process. Using experienced tradesmen and the latest equipment and technologies your floor will transform into an MPM Extreme Floors . Unique finishes designed for life
What are the different variations?
Polished concrete variations include:
- Minimal exposure with high sheen
- Minimal exposure with low sheen
- Full exposure with high sheen (Preferred)
- Full exposure with low sheen
What does exposure mean?
All High strength polished concrete will contain aggregate. This is a necessary ingredient. However we can have control over the colour, shape and size of the aggregate. These aggregates may include Quartz, Basalt, Granite, Rhyolite and pebbles to name a few. By Choosing the aggregates and matrix colour then grinding this combination to see full stone (full exposure) will have stunning results.
What is Minimal Exposure?
Refers to leveling the finished concrete surface by grinding, so high spots of the concrete surface would reveal some stone and low spots would reveal little or no stone in other words random or salt and pepper finish, with that rustic look and very impressive.
What does Sheen Relate to?
- High Sheen – It is the level of light reflection from the polished concrete surface. High sheen almost a mirror finish, with optimum light reflection saving on energy costs.
- Low sheen – Creating moderate light reflectivity but still with low maintenance and ease of cleaning.
Both these finishes are sealer-less as they have been treated with MPM Extreme Finish by mechanically sealing the polished concrete surface.
How do We achieve the best result?
MPM Extreme Floors will assist you at your planning stage. However we do offer a one stop shop approach taking control of your concrete floor from preparation stage right through to completion this is extremely popular, with extreme results.
When should we contact MPM Extreme Floors about our concrete requirements?
As soon as possible just phone or bring your plans and visit our showroom for the right advice.
Is polished concrete expensive?
The cost of polished concrete is comparable to timber and or tiled floors but with excellent longevity.
At what stage can we polish the concrete?
After the concrete has cured this is normally around 14 days.
Can you polish concrete externally?
Yes we do, using a process called Pavilion finish. This has been developed to give a decorative non-slip finish which is ideal for pergolas, pool decks, outdoor kitchens and other external areas.